SCOTLAND’S PREMIER ADVENTURE PARK
Gravitate North East will create a truly innovative centre of international standard – unlike anything Scotland has seen before. We aim to include:
• Over 45 km of purpose-built mountain bike trails. These will include technical downhill trails, flow trails and cross-country trails. They will be graded from easy beginner level right through to top competition level, to test the very best and most experienced athletes.
• A chairlift, that will transport bikers, sightseers and adventure seekers to the summit of Cairn Mon Earn at 378 meters above sea level. From here, visitors will be able to take in stunning views, from the Dee Valley and Fetteresso forest, all the way to the North Sea and Aberdeen City.
• Alpine, freestyle, park and big air snowsports, all year round on hi-tech artificial surfaces, as well as state of the art snow making machines.
• A café/restaurant serving up great food sourced locally. We intend to source the majority of ingredients within a 50-mile radius of the facility. First class coffee and other refreshments will also be on offer, seven days a week.
• A shop, staffed by a friendly and knowledgeable team, stocking mountain bike, snowsports and specialist outdoor equipment for hire and purchase. On site equipment repair will also be provided.
• Changing rooms, toilets, showers and all the other facilities you will need for your adventure in the forests and hills.
• Highly skilled and trained mountain biking and snowsports coaches, to help you take your experience to the next level.
• Exciting family-friendly pursuits such as tobogganing, ziplining, climbing, bouldering, tree top rope courses, tubing, orienteering, forest play, stargazing and nature walks.
• Learning and meeting spaces, kids’ play area, corporate teambuilding, and much more!
• An events venue for hosting high profile, national and international sporting and cultural events. A venue that will attract thousands of visitors every year.
A SUPERB LOCATION
The Gravitate project will be located on the western edge of the beautiful Durris Forest, located between Banchory and Stonehaven, just 15 miles south-west of Aberdeen City. The facility will be developed in a parcel of land approximately 250 hectares in size.
Durris Forest excels as a site for an adventure park as it offers excellent topography, direct access from the A957 (Slug Road) superb views, and, importantly, can be developed with minimal environmental intrusion.
The long term aim is for the woodland site to be owned and managed by the charity, for the public good.
AN INVESTMENT FOR LIFE
• The project will bring over £2.5 million annually to the regional economy, creating and supporting some 50 full-time equivalent jobs. The Adventure Park will help to diversify the local economy away from its traditional mainstays of oil & gas, farming and forestry. It will welcome more than 120,000 visitors each year which will significantly boost the city and region’s tourism offering.
• The Gravitate North East facility will connect many more young people and adults with nature and the outdoors, helping improve physical health, mental well-being and quality of life.
• Participation in outdoor activities will increase, via the training, coaching and learning opportunities which will be provided. It is particularly important to us that we provide opportunities for children and disadvantaged people to spend more time outdoors.
• The biodiversity of Durris Forest will be enhanced over time, as we move away from forest monoculture, reintroduce native species and protect natural habitats.
As a community-run business, we’ll employ local people, develop a local supply chain strategy and will operate on a ‘not for profit’ basis. All income will be used to operate and maintain the facility and help us deliver outdoor learning programmes for children and individuals with additional needs and disabilities.